We recognize that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is as smooth as possible.
How we will support children with SEND when they are moving on to another class or leaving this school:
Transition refers to children moving from one class to another usually at the start of the academic year in September. It can also refer to children moving from Year 6 to a Secondary School. At Stanley Crook Primary School, we recognise how important a successful transition is to our pupils with SEND and we therefore:
- Ensure children have met their new teacher before the start of the new academic year
- Arrange for each new class to spend a day with their new teacher in July to allay any fears or anxieties.
- Make sure all teachers have ‘handover’ meetings and all SEND information is transferred to the new teacher.
- Ensure the SENCO has an overview of all SEND children who are transiting to a new teacher.
- Work with parents who are concerned about transition
- Work closely in partnership with our feeder Secondary Schools, Parkside Academy and Wolsingham Comprehensive and have regular transition meetings with their team.
- All SEND information is past onto the new Secondary Schools.
- Act as a bridge between parents and carers and the new Secondary Schools, arranging additional visits for pupils and/or their parents if necessary.
New starters are offered the following opportunities:
- A personal individual tour of the school by a member of the Senior Leadership Team
- A school welcome pack which gives further details of our school
- Children can visit their new class for a day to see if they like us
If you would like to discuss your SEND requirements in detail please contact the school to arrange an appointment.